Tuesday 1 July 2014

Winning Writing from Years 5 to 8

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Russley School entered 'The Third Fabulous Poetry Competition' which was for a school entry of 25 poems. The competition was judged by Poetry Box's Paula Green, and the director of the NZ Book Council, Catriona Ferguson. Russley School was the winner of the South Island division!

As the winning school, we will receive a two day visit from Paula Green, who will run poetry workshops with Russley children in term 3.

Congratulations and huge thanks to all our poets. Scroll down to read some of the winning writing from our talented Russley authors!

Enjoy the poems from our senior students...




Winter has come again - by Ben M, Year 7

dark, murky skies
raining like a waterfall
deep puddles like mirrors
reflecting
soggy trees
crouching over


RAINDROPS - by Olivia C, year 7
splitter splatter
soggy gumboots
jump over cold puddles
I grip my clear umbrella
I hear splitter
                splatter
                    splitter
                       splatter
                           splash! 


Cutting Cold - by Ben T, year 7

The rain pelting down
like a boulder avalanche
people rushing indoors
shivering with cold
ice shards
even rain jackets do nothing

men and women driving
causing traffic jams
and accidents
in the rain

people indoors
covered in blankets
nearby a fire crackles

clothes turn soggy
soon smelly

everyone curled up
with hot chocolates
trying to forget
the freezing winter


SNOWFALL - by Riley H, year 7

My soggy clothes
were making my blanket wet.
I was rushing through the deep snow,
I even tried jumping through.
Everything I had was wet.
I finally got home
sat next to the fire
and had my hot chocolate.


The night frost - by Mitchell F, year 7

chilling cold
rain sounds like bullets
on my roof

drinking my hot chocolate
by the blazing fire
me and my family

snuggled in a blanket



WINTER - by Kaitlin C, year 7

soggy shoes
umbrella dripping
hurrying through
puddles

Splash!

the white sky
goes away
turning grey


JESSICA’S WINTER - by Jessica Y, age 7

soggy socks on the heater
drinking hot chocolate near the fire
snuggling into warm blankets
freezing winter air blows
                                  and blows

I grab my gumboots and jump
into the nearest puddle
                                  Splash!

hoping winter comes back again


The Painting - by Monica, year 7

a blank piece of paper
a polar bear in a snowstorm
a paintbrush paints...

a mountain looms over
the polar bear in a snowstorm
a paintbrush paints...

lush green grass
a mountain looms over
the polar bear in a snowstorm
a paintbrush paints...

a tree in the
lush green grass
a mountain looms over
the polar bear in a snowstorm
a paintbrush paints...


The winning entries from our Year 5 and 6 students:


I AM UNSTOPPABLE - by Quinton O, year 6

I am fantastic
I like cookies and cream milkshakes
I don’t like art

I’m afraid of spiders
I wish I could fly
I dream of going to Candyland

I pretend I’m listening to the teacher
I can eat twenty-one hotdogs at once
I am unstoppable

WET FEET
by Azryn C, year 6


my wet cold feet

flakes fall
as the sun comes up
drips drop down

the ferocious wind
will ease to a breeze

my wet cold feet


Winter Freeze
by Brayden D, year 5

My hands were freezing
like dripping ice.
I got wet and cold
like Jack Frost.
My family were playing
snowball fighting games.
I got Dad...
it hit him in the chest!
Ow!


WINTRY NIGHT - by Holly S, year 6

On a stormy, thundery,
wintry night
water trickles
onto the wet ground
the windy breeze blows
right through me.


No comments:

Post a Comment